CBD has been regarded as a shelf-stable compound but as with any organic material is impacted by temperature and time. While CBD does remain safe even if it has been exposed to extreme temperatures, it does lose its potency. Research has suggested that degradation of CBD occurs in three ways:
- Oxidation: Exposure to air, especially at elevated temperatures, can cause degradation. Even exposure to air at room temperature over long periods of time can cause this.
- Exposure to basic/alkaline conditions
- Exposure to acid
Since CBD experiences potency loss through these three conditions, keep in mind what ingredients you’re formulating with and make sure that all your packaging is tightly sealed.
How Temperature Variations Impact CBD
Overheating CBD can cause CBD products to lose terpenes, flavonoids, other cannabinoids, and overall potency. The boiling point of CBD is between 320 degrees and 356 degrees Fahrenheit. For companies located in hotter climates, it is important to provide a stable temperature for storing your CBD. Extreme temperature variations can impact the degradation factor, making it crucial to consider the following when finding proper storage:
- Keep CBD away from direct light: UV radiation causes damage in virtually anything, making it important to keep your CBD away from direct sunlight. If you don’t have a dark storage room or a commercial refrigerator, aluminum foil may be used to protect your products from light degradation.
- Keep CBD away from heat: Any heat exposure can cause heat degradation. A dark storage room in a temperature-controlled setting or a commercial refrigerator are both great options for proper storage. We don’t recommend freezing your CBD or CBD products since this can compromise the formula, but a refrigerator offers an ideal place for a longer shelf life.
- Keep CBD away from air: Oxidation is the biggest cause of degradation making it crucial to maintain an air-tight seal for all of your products. Try to always keep your CBD in its original container for quality assurance. Especially if you plan on keeping your CBD refrigerated, you don’t want any moisture exposure to compromise your product.
Ideal Storage Options for CBD
In order to extend product life and ensure optimal quality, we recommend storing your CBD in a dark, temperature-controlled storage room, refrigerator, low cabinet, freeze drier cellar, or basement. Always make sure that your CBD products are kept tightly sealed especially if storing them in a refrigerator.
Work with the Nation’s Trusted CBD Wholesaler
Hemp Depot is proud to share the leading facts regarding the efficacy and science of CBD. Proper storage can help you save money in the long run while ensuring the highest quality possible for your customers. We’re always happy to help our clients with different storage options. For more information regarding how temperature variations impact CBD, please contact us!